Monday

Year two is getting underway.

When I took over the Lima Senior boys soccer program I knew there were things that needed to change if we were to advance to the next level. As is the case when change is encountered I also knew there would be resistance to the changes I wanted to bring to the program. I anticipated there would be excitement for a new approach and new direction and there was. These are all accepted dynamics that will be present anytime a new coach takes over.

All in all, the first season went about as expected. That is, we were able to begin the process of redefining the program. That process met with resistance from some.  Some embraced the new approach and were eager to pursue a new direction.  We had the best season in perhaps 12-15 years and some said ever although I think that might be a bit ambitious.

(Hit the jump for the rest of the article)




As we begin year two I have a modicum of trepidation and many high expectations for what can be accomplished. There will still exist a battle between the positive energy we seek to overwhelm the program with and residual negative energy associated with the changes we are bringing. This is the season the wave of change will fully crest.  We may not be through the worst of it just yet, but by season's end we will be. I have no doubt of this. None whatsoever.

Each program makeover I have been involved with has its own uniqueness. At Lima Senior there has existed a pervasive attitude the Spartan's soccer team is mediocre.  Always has been and always will be. The Spartans have not, can not and never will compete with the powerhouse teams in the TRAC. One parent said as much to me in an email.  That type of attitude, especially coming from a parent, is difficult to overcome.  Not impossible, just difficult.

One of the more perplexing issues for me as the leader of this program and coach of last season's TEAM 29 was the lack of toughness we exhibited. I assumed with Lima Senior being an urban school, the kids would display a certain amount of toughness that in the end just wasn't as prevalent as anticipated.  You know what they say about assume, it makes an ass out of you and me.

Whenever TEAM 29 encountered adversity, they buckled and failed to find a way to fight through it to earn a victory.  Still, TEAM 29 had a 10 win season.  Ten wins in a high school soccer season is a special accomplishment. But it was the 5 matches lost or tied in the last 3:00 minutes of the contests that were a truer definition of the season. The two blowout losses perhaps even more so.  This inability to overcome adversity has gnawed at me all winter long.  Only recently have I considered our struggles to overcome internal adversity as inhibiting our overcoming adversity presented by opponents.

I believe in the process. It is tried and true. I also remain flexible with it and open to tweaking it so it remains up to date and cutting edge.  In 2016 I offered a leadership class which was fairly well attended even as nearly all participants gave a failing effort. Assignments were not completed. Ownership was not taken. This spring I am going to tweak the leadership development process.

Interestingly enough, when I investigated Lima Senior as a potential landing place to coach the one commonality in feedback was that there existed a lack of player leadership that would hold my vision for the program back. I could say this has proven true. For me, that would be making an excuse and continuing a chain of negativity that needs to be broken.  I prefer to accept responsibility for my own decision making.  I identified those who drained energy from the TEAM early on.  I also identified those with positive leadership abilities fairly quickly.  My mistake was to settle on a compromise in selecting captains.  It was transitional leadership for a transitional year. What could go wrong?  Well. it turns out a lot of things did.  My mistake. Now it's on to next play.

Rumors have circulated this winter that some players are either not going to play or will transfer to play at other schools.  This has irritated our athletic director a good bit. Me?  I told our athletic director "if they don't want to be here, we are better off not having them" and I meant that.  It might hurt the immediate prospects of TEAM 30, but the process will be advanced much quicker in the long run.  Let me be clear, I do not wish for anyone to leave the program, but if they choose not to buy-in to the process I am okay with them doing so.

I am drawing a must harder line in the sand when it comes to player leadership of TEAM 30. This process began with end of season interviews last November. The process has continued this off season as student athletes and their families have had frequent and numerous opportunities to help build our program.  The process continues with small group training and meetings beginning this week. There will be opportunities for individuals to establish themselves as leaders through the summer. There are already individuals separating themselves from the pack in this competition to determine the official player leadership of TEAM 30.

I expect another 10 victories in 2017.  The potential is there for more if we can learn from and overcome adversity.  My instincts are telling me it will be 2018 and beyond when the program will truly reap the benefits of the foundation being laid now. That will not diminish my efforts to bring out full potentials this coming season.  The process will continue unabated. We will continue to learn new skills. We will continue to refine and hone the skills we do possess. We will continue to improve our pace of play.  We will continue to identify our mistakes and embrace them even as we seek to treat them as opportunities to learn from and improve.

I am excited for year two in the Spartan soccer program and am already looking ahead to year three with enthusiasm emanating from the positive energy building in our younger players. We are Spartans and will discover the warrior attitude within us, draw upon it and put it on display for all to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment