Thursday

Pop in soccer? Yes, POP in soccer!

POP is an acronym for Principles of Passing.

It is also an acronym for Pace of Play which happens to be our most popular camp theme.

The two are directly related to one another.  I have used POP for Pace of Play for quite some time, but only recently have begun using it for Principles of Passing. This came about as I evaluated our Pace of Play template for camps.

One of the things I like to do is watch young teams train and play the game. This often stimulates my thinking and planning for camp season.  I was recently watching a U12 team practice passing.  It was the typical or standard fare of drill work.  The results were about what one would expect and that's when my mind really started churning. 

I wondered to myself how many of the players could name the Principles of Passing.  I even wondered were I to ask the coaches, if they could name the Principles of Passing.  The glimmer of an idea came to mind that when teaching how to pass the ball we often demonstrate technique, but seldom explain or teach the principles behind the execution of the technique.

Before I go any further, I want to give a shout out to Blast the Ball.  I am not associated with the website / videos or company in any way. Simply an admirer in their approach to breaking down technique into the minutest of details.  The video came to mind while think through the process outlined here.

What are the Principles of Passing?

In attempting to keep this simple so as to be easily taught / learned and practically applied I have identified five Principles of Passing for your consideration.  I am sure I have not discovered these or re-invented the wheel as they say.  I am just putting them down "on paper" that we might use them when teaching players how to pass.

1) Have a plan:  I demand our players know their next play before their first touch on the ball.  This allows them to prepare to play the ball properly.

2) Angles:  Soccer is all about geometry.  Selecting the proper angle and positioning yourself to play that angle are key considerations to successfully passing the ball.

3) Timing:  Not too soon. Not too early.  Whether the pass is to feet or to space the timing of the pass is crucial to its success and maintaining the attacking rhythm.

4) Accuracy:  If you cannot pass successfully, you cannot play.  Again, whether passing to feet or passing to space (or to goal) passing accurately is a must. 

5) Proper weighting of the pass:  Not too soft, but not too hard.  Firm and with pace. 

In our Pace of Play camps we work to achieve successful one-touch play when ever appropriate and possible.  All five Principles of Passing must be combined in one movement or action in order for one touch play to be successful.  When this does occur, the ball can really zip about the pitch with astonishing speed. 

I believe players learning to pass the ball would benefit greatly if their technical instruction was expanded to include being taught the Principles of Passing.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment