Monday

National Coaches Day

October 6, 2014 is National Coaches Day. I have no idea if this is an actual governmental decree or if someone just decided today is a good day to honor coaches.  The idea of honoring coaches set my mind to racing though. 

In writing this article should I focus on one particular coach making this a tribute article?  Frankly, I am not entirely sure who that person would be. Several people come to mind with the first being Bobby Knight. Yes, that Bobby Knight.  Several others followed in quick pursuit.  From the legendary Bo Schembechler to the obscure Mike Simons and many individuals in between. 

I thought briefly how I do not currently have a coach and quickly realized this is not so. I have Keith, Kyle, Randy, Jason, Billy, Mac, Eric, Paul, Barry, Dan, Graham, Nicholas, Ken, Steve, Jon and Grant among others who are my support group and mentors. I rely heavily on these men to provide insight and feedback on my performance as a coach.

As my mind wandered back through the years to all the coaches I have come in contact with I began thinking in terms of who I have learned from, who taught me the most. That's really what coaching boils down to - teaching. Who taught me the most about individual and team play?  Who was that one individual that made the most profound impact on my life?

An idea began forming in my mind.  The choice was so obvious I actually chuckled out loud.  Even now, I still turn to him for advice and guidance. Hands down, bar none, the best coach I have ever had in my life.  He has influenced every aspect of my life in every regard.  I cannot imagine where I would be without him nor do I care to. 

Thank you, God.  It is you who I honor on this, and every, day.

No comments:

Post a Comment