Friday

Why I Coach.

For the vast majority of us there isn't a lot of money to be made in coaching.  I remember keeping track of hours spent in coaching high school one season and the amount I was paid only to discover I was working for less than a nickle an hour.

So, why do I coach?

I love to teach. I find it rewarding to see players develop and improve not only in their sport but as people. It is gratifying to think I had a role in their growth. My youngest child is now a junior in high school and has been playing soccer since the age of five.  I've been there every step of the way as his father and soccer coach. We have both made many great friends along the way and it is pure pleasure to see them on the soccer pitch.

Last night my son Lance played in a high school match against some of his friends from club teams past and present. It was wonderful to see Nate Falk, Patrizio Martinez, Austin Quellhorst, Kaleb Fenwick-Miller, Joe Poeppleman, Matt Dine and Zac Nelson on one side and Lance, Tanner Mayer, Adam Knott, Jonathon Andrews, Matt Dailey and Garrett Moots on the other team.  All presnt or past club teammates, friends and friendly rivals brought together through the sport of soccer. This is what it's all about.

I started with most of these kids when they were around the age of nine and now they are 16 & 17 year olds representing their high school and their communities against one another but also in support of one another. My wife and I consider them all and their parents / siblings as part of our soccer family. We look forward to seeing them and share their emotions. My wife is always rather conflicted when our club team is represented by both teams on the pitch. She wants to see everyone do well and feels elation with a good play by one and concern for a poor play by opponent / friend. 

I had a wonderful start to my day when I received a message from Judy, the mother of a player on the opposing team last night. Judy and her family are members of our soccer family who were representing the opposing school last night. The message read in part, "I will say, it doesn't matter who the players have later on in their years, it is definitely the coach that has them first and builds the basics and knowledge in their head that makes these players the good players later on!  Of course, a good coach to enhance their knowledge later on doesn't hurt, but geee who could that first coach have been for a quarter of our team?!  We sing your praises Tim to all we meet!  Thank You!

That right there (and the handshake, hugs and chats with players after the game) is worth more than money to me. It is why I coach.  Thank you, Judy!

I have received many such communications through the years. They strangely seem to arrive at just the right times. Pick me ups when the grind of a season is upon us. After the season notes that re-energize me to gear up for another season. This mornings message arrived with impeccable timing.  If you are a player or parent of a player, take a moment to send a text, email, tweet with a word of thanks and appreciation to your coach. It will mean so much to them,

In the grand spirit of the soccer.

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment