Wednesday

Teammates are forever.

in my late teens and early twenties I played on an adult church softball team. It was the best group of guys I have ever been a part of. There were basically 10 of us and our coach. We would occasionally add a player if someone was injured or when we played in tournaments. For the most part it was just us 11 men bonded together by our love for Christ and softball.

We didn’t always get along. There were differences. When we stepped onto the field they were forgotten, at least temporarily. We played as if we shared one heart beat amongst us. We won, a lot. Lots of league and tournament championships. The team disbanded one year without much ado as. Enough core players moved on to other things and those who remained knew the magic would never be recaptured.

Tim Dunifon who played left center field next to my left field died five years ago.  His death hit me particularly hard. Good guy. Good friend. Good teammate.  Tim was the first of our core group to die.  I miss him.

This past Saturday, Candy Stevely passed away. Candy was the wife of Gary Stevely, our right fielder and lead off man.  I took Gary’s spot in left field and there lingered some animosity for a while. Never on the field though. Eventually everything smoothed over.  Candy was our church secretary, organist, sang in various musical groups was a member of the bell choir. In short, Candy was a hub of the church.  I was fortunate enough to work with Candy 3 separate times as a member of our church council. Twice as president of our congregation. She was kind, I mean really kind, truly kind.  Candy was a wonderful ambassador for our church, for Christ himself.

Our softball team was a family affair. While it was 11 men who manned the team our families went everywhere with us. Wives, girlfriends, parents, grandparents, kids. Candy was often there supporting Gary and our team.

As I have mourned Candy’s passing I have been reminded of our softball team. Fond memories. Strong lasting bonds. I am looking forward to seeing many of the guys at Candy’s viewing and funeral. It’s so sad that we gather under these circumstances but also a comfort that our little band of softball players remain a team after all these years.  Rest In Peace Candy.  Peace be with you Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment