Wednesday

Build from the Back.

If you are reading this article to learn how to build an attack from the back, I'm sorry to disappoint you. There are several articles on the site that do cover that topic. However, today's writing is about filling out your formation beginning with the back line.

I have made mention on numerous occasions that I allow the players to run our halftime discussions. One reason I do this is because there are only two basic themes to talk over; 1) who is dangerous to us and 2) who is their weak link?   It is the latter of these that takes the forefront when I fill out a line up for my teams.  That is, I want a stout back line with no weak links.

As Sun Tzu stated,

Invincibility lies in the defense;
 
the possibility of victory in the attack.


 
 
This is very true. If you do not allow goals, it is very difficult to lose a match. This is always a primary consideration when I am deciding who will play where for our teams.  I place myself in the opposing teams shoes and take a walk around our roster, so to speak.   I ask myself, who is our weak link?  Which player if played in our back line would I want to attack through?  Maybe think of it as reverse engineering your formation?
 
In this regard, deciding who will man the back line for us is a process of elimination.  Now, of course, there will be players who jump out at you as being defenders. Perhaps it is not a challenge to determine 2 or even three of the defenders who will man your back four, but that fourth guy?  He cannot just be filler and hope.  He cannot be the weak link that opponents select to attack through.
 
 
The first two characteristics most often associated with good defending are;
 
 
Discipline
 
and
 
Patience
 
I prefer defenders to possess what I call controlled aggression. Pick and choose when it is appropriate to be aggressive with your decision making rooted in keeping yourself between the ball and the goal. Deny crosses and shots. Force the opponent to play laterally or backwards instead of advancing the attack vertically.  And defenders must know the cues for when to tackle the ball.
 
If you can build a wall with your back line and deny your opponent an obvious weakness to attack through your team will be in every game you play.  That is, you will allow for your attack to bring the possibility for victory. Even when your attack is not strong, if the other team cannot score the possibility for a good result still exists.  Solidify your back line first, then figure out the attack.  The defense is the foundation your team is built on and that your teams success is dependent on. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment