Saturday

Soccer Memories - Grant

I have been fortunate enough to spend 20 years around a game that I love as a player, referee, and coach and I thank God for the opportunity, my parents for their support, and all of the friends I’ve made along the way.  These are a few of my favorite soccer memories from those experiences.

I was fortunate enough to play on a club team where we would travel to Dayton to play about half of our games. We used walkie talkies to stay in contact while traveling since this was before cell phones. Being a group of 14 year old boys we joked around a lot on our trips. One time we passed a police cruiser on the highway. One of my teammates parent’s was speeding and got pulled over. My teammate Nick who had a walkie talkie comes over the air “Mayday Mayday I got a bogie on me!” The entire team was laughing. To this day I still joke with my family about it.
During my sophomore year of high school I took most of our free kicks in the attacking half of the field. At an away game against one of our rivals there was a free kick about 35 yards out that I took. I took the kick and my intention was to put it about the 6 yard box so it could be headed on goal. I miss hit the ball and it went farther than I intended but with where the kick was on the field it drifted over the keeper’s hands into the upper left corner for the goal. It’s really the only goal that I remember scoring mainly because it seemed like the ball just hung in the air forever and at the last moment dipped perfectly.
From the referee side there are too many to list here. I was privileged to referee regional and national finals , multiple USL Pro games and an MLS scrimmage.  Many of these memories are so great because they were with great people. I would like to mention Dan Fennema in particular because we traveled together a lot and he was a great mentor to me. On the field my favorite memories actually came before a game. I was refereeing an adult amateur game between two Hispanic teams who had gotten into a fight the last time they played. As we were getting ready for the coin toss the captains were speaking Spanish to each other. I unfortunately do not know Spanish so my response was to start speaking German to them and do the coin toss through hand motions. At the end the captains said good luck to each other, they shook my hand and said good luck to which I just smiled and replied good luck back to them, all of this in clear English. The rest of the game we communicated to each other in English and the game was almost perfect.
My coaching career has been rather short thus far but my favorite memory so far came at the end of the year soccer tournament with my U9 team in the Spring of 2014. The boys had been playing well and improving in the weeks leading up to the tournament but couldn’t get over the hump to win. Then everything clicked in their first game. They went on to win the tournament and were so happy with that after a season of being so close. The winning is not what I remember however. I remember that the boys played great defense and only allowed 3 goals in 4 games, had multiple bangoo goals, and the least athletic player on the team who had been working so hard on his skills did a double scissors move that left the defender wondering what had happened.
Some other things that stand out to me as I reflect are getting up at 4:00 AM to watch the Korea/Japan World Cup. Spending summer afternoons with Graham Ramsey and my father watching coaching videos and talking about the game, hearing an entire complex erupt with cheers when Donovan scored the World Cup goal. These are just a few of my favorite memories however what I enjoy the most about the beautiful game is all of the wonderful people I have met and shared stories and laughs with.

No comments:

Post a Comment