Thursday

It is finished.

Sometimes when expectations meet reality a violent collision occurs. 

That pretty much sums up the 2014 Shawnee soccer season.

I have written over 25,000 words / 50+ pages covering the season.  Although I have said I would publish them at the end of October or early November, I have decided against doing so.  This has been a difficult season to write about and I quite frankly do not like the general overall tone of my writings. 

I believe when a negative occurs it is important to immediately move on to a positive to prevent a chain of negativity from developing.  This is the reason for our club call of "Next Play!"

So, as I tell my players to do, I am picking up a few blades of grass and tossing then into the wind. Those blades of grass represent this season of Shawnee soccer. I have cast them away and am choosing to move on, to look forward. 

And we have much to look forward to. So many blessings bestowed upon us to share with others. The season did not go as we had hoped, but we appreciate that it went according to God's plan and trust that the lessons learned will continue to be revealed to us as we move on from high school soccer.

One of the lessons learned is that I should have gone after the head coaching job instead of endorsing someone with no head coaching experience. I thought it would be difficult to coach my own son in a high school setting, but it could not have possibly been more difficult than it was to see this season squandered in the hands of inexperienced coaches.  I have few regrets in life, but this will be one of them.  I apologize to my son and his teammates.  I could have made a positive difference for you. I regret that I did not attempt to do so for you. 

1 comment: