Wednesday

Proper preparation is the key to consistent performance.

I spent last night texting, tweeting, emailing and talking with a half dozen coaches, perhaps as many as 30 players, four referees and a handful of parents.  Some were excited about their performance while others were clearly frustrated. Others just wanted to chat for a few minutes.

Through it all, the one train of thought that was constant in my mind was "preparation".  I wondered what the team who performed so well against the odds had done to prepare for their match?  I also wondered what the team who was frustrated with their performance had done to prepare for their match?

Emotional, mental and physical preparation are all important. I believe each can be trained. I believe each must be given proper consideration before, during and after a match.

When coaching goalkeepers I design practices that focus equally on all three of these areas. I do not want a player relying too heavily on emotion to perform for that means with every high there will be a corresponding low. The idea is to limit the peaks and valleys in order to be consistent in performance. 

I never have goalkeepers practice "spectacular saves" and I never have goalkeepers practice "recovery" techniques.   I firmly believe if a goalkeeper is technically excellent he will be able to make the spectacular save when called upon to do so. Likewise, if a goalkeeper is tactically excellent he should never have to execute a recovery technique to make up for being out of position in the first place. 

I want goalkeepers to remain constant and consistent in the moment. I ask nothing more of them than to make the routine save knowing if they take care of the "easy" saves they will rise to the occasion when the difficult save is required of them.

I believe the same holds true for field players.

Have you ever watched a player working on his own practice a spectacular move over and over again? The rainbow for instance?  How many times have you seen a rainbow performed in an actual match?  In all my years of coaching I have seen a rainbow attempted twice in a match. Both were successfully completed but led directly to a lost possession. Other than a little "wow factor" little else was gained from performing the move... and think of all that was lost in the hours spent refining the move.

If a player has a solid foundation in the routine the spectacular will manifest itself when needed.

Confidence is a product of preparation. 

This is why my goalkeepers perform the same three part warm up routine every practice and every pre-game. We are building a foundation in the routine matters of goalkeeping. Emotional, mental and physical routine to establish a foundation of preparedness. A platform for success, if you will. A reinforcing of routine to instill and ingrain confidence.

So it is I wonder what each team, what each player, coach and referee did in preparation for their games last night. What led to the thrill of successful performance and what led to the disappointment and frustration of under performance?

No comments:

Post a Comment