Sunday

Regarding line up changes

Over the years when I have made personnel changes to line ups invariably players who are displaced want to know what they have done wrong. Many times changes are driven by faulty decision making. What players fail to realize is the decision making being questioned is that of the coach as much or even more so than that of the player.

As I contemplate line up changes for our Grand Lake United BPL team today I can most definitely say they are coming about because I, as their coach, have failed to get it right.  I thought my decision making process was sound, but this past Friday's match proved otherwise.  Strange thing is, we won the match against a rival club on their home pitch.  I should be happy, right?

We won the match in spite of ourselves.  Some individuals really struggled to conform with our system of play in their decision making. Collectively we struggled to find a proper rhythm because we were not on the same page in our decision making.  It would be easy to single out certain players as the root cause of our problems. It would also be foolish to do so.

Consider for a moment that it is the coach's responsibility to place players in positions and situations in which they have a reasonable expectation for success.  This is true with individual players, in combining players in units and in the collective 11 man side. 

I put considerable time into deciding line ups. I attempt to find the proper position for individual players and the right combination of players and skills.  Sometimes what looks good on paper just doesn't work well on the pitch. Then another round of decisions must take place. Is patience required? Does a player or combination of players simply need more time to sort things out?  Was it simply good intentions gone awry?  Is there a better position for an individual player or a better combination of players?

These are questions I have been pondering.  I have asked a handful of people for input and others have offered unsolicited input. I have concluded the quality of my decision making left something to be desired.  Now I need to put it right.  Direct and honest communication with the players involved will be vital.  Some will be happy with the changes. Others will not and perhaps even become angry. My hope is all involved will embrace the changes in recognition they are being made for the good of the collective. For the good of the TEAM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment