Wednesday

Exciting News for Grand Lake United.

Fielding spring club teams from the West central Ohio area has always been a struggle. More so in some age groups than others.  This is why I am extremely pleased to announce we will be fielding two teams in the U18 /19 age group!

Our U17 team last spring had a very successful season going undefeated in the MVYSA league, winning our division at the Pacesetters Tournament and winning the Creek Classic. I have no doubt that the success of this team spurred interest within players looking to become a part of our success. The looming World Cup and the United States successful qualifying for it has generated some excitement as well.  There's a bit more going on here though.  The young men who comprise the team have been tremendous recruiters for our program and these teams.  That only happens when teammates genuinely like and care about one another. This is a tight knit group confident in themselves and in their teammates. 

I have seen this type of growth before in high school programs, at the college level and in amateur sports.  It is the result of leadership within the player ranks. When the core group of players have "it" the opportunity for special exists.  I have considered the best course of action for a coach when this occurs is to simply not get in the way so as to mess it up.

Yes, there will be some issues about assignments to the two teams.  That is a good thing in my estimation.  Everyone should want to play soccer with their friends and strive to be a member of what they perceive to be the best team.  I understand that.  Assignments to the teams will be one of the larger roles I play with this... program.  I can offer no guarantee of getting it 100% right.  I can only avow to do my very best in the context of Program, TEAM, Individual Player and prioritized in that order.

I would like to say I will coach both teams exactly the same but that will not be the case. Our core fundamentals will be the same with each team. Our systems of play will be similar, but we will play to the strengths of each team and the individuals who comprise the teams.  Our formations may or may not be the same or similar.  We will work to discover what works best for each team.

I'm excited.  It looks like we will have 36-40 players to comprise these two teams. That is a tremendous player pool for our semi-rural area.  An extraordinary number of players, in fact.  I aim is to provide each of them with a quality playing experience in the 2014 spring season.   Wish us Good Luck and keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we embark together on this venture.  And of course, I will keep you updated throughout the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment