Saturday

Tryouts begin tomorrow

Final tryouts for 2014 Spring teams begin tomorrow.  Our U17 Men's team had a very successful season this spring and I am anxious to see how this will impact tryouts for next years team. Will most of the team want to return? I do not actively recruit players to tryout for our teams so I just have no idea. 

What I am going to touch upon today is what I will be looking for at tryouts.

1) Decision making skills.   Soccer is a game played with the brain as much, if not more so than with physical ability.  There is a misconception that "big, fast, strong" athletes equates to the ability to play fast soccer. This just isn't so.  The ability to play fast is based in the player's ability to make good decisions in a timely manner.  The faster one thinks the game the faster one is capable of playing the game.

2) Is the player coachable?  I don't want know it alls who are stuck in their ways.  I want open minded young men eager to learn. I am looking for Great Enthusiastic Attitude.

3) Intelligent workers.  Yes, back to the brain, again.  The overwhelming majority of players will give good to great effort.  What I am looking for is intelligent effort.  Ball watchers tend to waste effort whereas game watchers tend to maximize the effort they give. Intelligent workers play simply. 

4) Leadership.  I believe the game requires 11 captains present on the field all working together to achieve a common goal.  The result - win / lose / draw - will be a common result so I want a team that will work with one another as equals with shared accountability and responsibility.  Once again, Attitude.

5) Passion for the game.  Love the game.  Respect the game. Honor the game and all its participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment