Wednesday

The Currency of Success is Appreciation

I have been strolling down memory lane of late reminiscing about past glory of teams I have been associated with seeking the common threads.  Several words have come to mind including leadership, resiliency, work ethic... and appreciation. It seems to me I always felt appreciated on the best of those teams. Be it the 4th grade undefeated Parkmore Tigers or the St Matthew men's softball team or the Grand Lake United U19 team... I have always felt appreciated for the contributions I made to the teams success.

I have, of course, also remembered the talented teams that underachieved and found appreciation was almost always lacking on those teams. There was the basketball team that seemingly had everything - great size, speed, skill - yet struggled to a .500 record.  A softball team as talented as any I have ever played on that failed to win the league and was routinely bounced from tournaments early. The soccer team with mediocre success despite an abundance of individual talent. On these teams I often felt like a piece of meat, a number on the roster, someone to round out a line up. Underappreciated and longing for a word of acknowledgement for the contributions I had made to the team effort.

I recall that when participating on those underachieving teams I made a point of acknowledging the efforts of others because of the lack of appreciation I felt for the contributions I made.  That's me. However, I am not a saint. I also recall how I focused on individual accomplishments when a team was not performing to potential.  I wanted to lead the team in doubles, or to lead the team in scoring irregardless of the teams success. A selfish attitude for sure, but if my teammates or coaches did not appreciate me I could at least appreciate myself.

It occurs to me that successful teams celebrate one another's individual successes as contributions, big and small alike, to the teams efforts.  In fast pitch softball it might be the laying down of a bunt, a sacrifice. In basketball or soccer, making an extra pass to a teammate who has a better scoring opportunity than you do, an assist. I have myself described this as playing for one another. 

In softball after failing to get a hit with runners in scoring position we would often ask the next batter to "pick me up" and when they came through would always thank them for having done so. In basketball taking a help side charge or coming from across the lane to block a shot were having a teammates back. We were there for one another and not concerned with who got credit for a job well done because we lavished praise upon one another in celebrating our success.

I think the most important contribution any of us can make is to be appreciative of those around us and the contributions they make to our team, our lives and the success we find in these. I was on the right track as a player, but did not persevere to see it through and change the culture on those underachieving teams. I don't know if I could have been successful or not... and that's a regret. I regret surrendering myself to a negative team culture when I knew better.

This is not to say we should never be critical of one another, but the appreciation we show of and for one another must be dominant over any negativity shown to one another. The "Oreo" or "sandwich" approach to coaching.  Before criticizing a player, find a positive in his play. Then address the issue at hand before concluding with another word of praise. Let that player know you care not just about his play, but about him as a person.  Let him know you value his contributions. Praise his efforts. In return that player will redouble his efforts for the team.

Both positive culture and negative culture are contagious. Breed a culture of positive re-enforcement with the recognition that the choice is yours to make. Praise the players, your teammates, their efforts much more than you criticize them. Be patient through mistakes understanding they are opportunities to learn.  Teach in a calm enabling manner instead of being critical and condescending.  Bring out the best in one another by telling each other frequently how much you appreciate efforts on behalf of the team.  When you score a goal, go find the person who assisted immediately and thank him for the great pass. Celebrate the accomplishment together.  When the goalkeeper makes a great save, let him know as soon as possible what a great play he made... and thank him for doing so, for having your back, for picking you up.

Appreciation, the currency of success. How rich in appreciation is your team?

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs further more each else volume is so entertaining further serviceable It appoints me befall retreat encore. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. device converter

    ReplyDelete