Monday

Practice, er ... Training.


In many cases it is simply a case of semantics, but soccer and its culture is different from many “American” sports. I was once again reminded of this recently when a young player I am working with attempted to explain to his parent that I was “the trainer” and not a coach.  Even his coach was not quite sure what I was going to be doing with the team as he originally thought I was there to “condition” the boys. Seems he thought running, plyometrics and such would be a good thing for his team. When everyone saw me working with the boys on passing and receiving there was almost a sense of disappointment that I was there to conduct a practice session, i.e. coach them.

I have come to appreciate that “training” more closely approximates what it is I do with teams. In my mind, players can practice the individual fundamentals on their own. In training I put the team through a distinct progression of combined technical and tactical activities that train them how to work together on the pitch. In a sense it is learning how to properly apply the individual fundamentals they are working on developing.

The passing and receiving we were working on actually involved off-the-ball player movement as a means to prepare to play the ball, vision, back footed play, proper receiving and passing technique and much more. No one part being less or more important than the other. It’s sort of like playing in a concert band where each individual in each section learns their part and then the conductor puts all the different sections together to play the piece in its entirety. Each section has an equally important part. Independently they may not sound like much but together they are capable of producing beautiful music!

The trainer needs to have specific goals for each training session.  This is true regardless of if he is training a recreational level team, a national side or a team that falls somewhere in between. Therefore, a clear distinct training plan is necessary for each training session with specific goals in mind to be achieved.

When I state to people that I will often devote 1.5 hours towards planning a 1.5 hour training session I get a lot of doubtful looks in return.  However, it is true that I devote a lot of time to planning a proper practice, uh, training session. That single session training plan must fall within a framework of a seasonal plan that has within it monthly and even weekly plans.  

There is a certain amount of flexibility that must be involved in the process.  The seasonal plan will be designed to move the team from where it is at in the pre-season through to certain and predetermined developmental points at season’s end.  It cannot be a hip, hop and skip journey bouncing here and there. Rather it is a process of reaching level 1 and proceeding through successive levels until the season end goal is achieved.

Each training session must provide an opportunity for players to develop technical excellence in their individual skill sets, opportunities to apply individual skill and basic combination play in small sided games before providing a simulated game environment for group tactics.  Pressure in the terms of available space and time to play in begin at a familiar and comfortable level increasing throughout the session until it culminates in actual game conditions.

I typically train a team once a week in season. I expect the coach to work with players on the same concepts I introduce during other practice / training sessions he holds. I will increase both the instruction given and the intensity of training sessions as the season progresses and the players prove capable of handling. By the end of the season the improvement in play should be self evident to my eye and hopefully to that of players, coaches and parents as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment