Sunday

Improvise! Adapt! Overcome!

In the 1986 movie Heartbreak Ridge Clint Eastwood demands his Marine recon platoon Improvise! Adapt! Overcome! when encountering obstacles.  This has been adopted as an unofficial motto of the United States Marine Corps and fits nicely with their Semper Flexibilis or Semper Gumby motto that implore the Corps to be flexible in addressing obstacles.  

Improvise!

Adapt!

Overcome!

I have watched Heartbreak Ridge many times.  It's not so much the battle scenes that I find captivating as it is the development of the characters and the process portrayed of a rag tag bunch of wannabes transforming into a kick ass recon platoon.  And it is these things I believe apply in life and in soccer. 

I have taken charge of a down on its luck high school soccer program. Regular followers of this blog know this is exactly the type of challenge I love. I would go so far as to say I have developed a formula for turning around such programs. Only this time, that tried and true formula has not worked. Thus, I am left to consider other approaches. I am attempting to Improvise! Adapt! Overcome! in a new and different manner. Flexibility was a key throughout our first season. To be honest, I was too accommodating in an effort to keep enough members in the program to finish our schedule. And as we all know, compromising standards is not an answer to anything.

As I look forward to next season I am both looking back to core values we got away from last season and to adapting our approach. There was a lot of improvising last season as I sought to navigate the season. It was born of panic and took place haphazardly. This coming season I am looking to focused improvisation to be a forceful building tool. 

I don't know how much is left to be invented in soccer, especially in terms of team tactics, but I intend to go back to the future with some of the concepts and ideas we employ to boost tactics to our advantage. There was a time when the 4-4-2 zonal system I employed was cutting edge and a decided advantage.  I understand now that I thought it always would be and I was wrong for thinking that way. The game changed while I was comfortable in what we were doing.  I must now Improvise! and Adapt! in order to Overcome! and regain an advantage. I am stepping outside my coaching comfort zone to get back into and hopefully once more ahead of the game.

Stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment