Sunday

My first love was basketball.

Doing some cleaning and organizing this morning I came across a document from my youth basketball days written by Coach Matthews (?) circa 1970. I've always remembered this when playing and coaching basketball. It is pure. It is simple. It is the truth.

Defending in Basketball

Take away the paint.

Take away the opponents strength.

Get a hand on the ball.

Talk.

Don't foul.

Box out and board.


It applies in soccer as well. And I have always maintained that soccer is basketball on grass.  So much of what I learned as a basketball player and coach applies directly to soccer. Yeah, there are differences - soccer players play predominately with their feet while basketball is played with the hands is the most obvious - but the games are strikingly similar in many ways.

So, lets take a look at this from a soccer perspective. I'm going to take some liberty and rearrange the order a bit more to my current liking.

Defending in Soccer

Effectively communicate with teammates

Take away the face of the goal

Take away the opponents strength

Get a foot to the ball

Do not foul in your defending third

Finish with regained possession



1 comment:

  1. All thanks to this great man called Dr Agbazara the great spell caster that bring back the joy in me by helping me to bring back my lover who break up with me Four months ago but now with me with the help of Dr Agbazara the great love spell caster. All thanks goes to him you can also contact him for help if you need him in times of troubles via: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) you can also WhatsApp on this Number +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete