Thursday

Just do it.

As a young adult working in corporate finance at an international retailer one day I found myself participating in the company's annual golf outing.  The format was a four person co-ed best ball scramble.  One member of our team was a non-stop talker, what we called a blowhard back in the day. We got off to a decent start but it was soon obvious the blowhard was grating on nerves and having a negative impact on everyones enjoyment if not their golf games.  As we approached one green our best ball was about 20 yards off to the side.  In the spirit of encouragement I stated "we're about due for one" meaning a chip into the cup. The VP said, "talk is cheap, just do it."  The tone was condescending and although I recognized he was frustrated with the blowhard I took it a bit pesonally. There was only one thing I could do. I played my chip shot onto the green where it bounced twice then rolled right into the cup!  Yes,  I am sure I had a smug and self-satisfied look on my face after completing that shot.

That memory has stayed with me not so much because of the great shot I made, but because of the lesson learned. Talk is cheap. It is action that resonates long and loud. Belief is a huge factor as well. I had made similar golf shots before. I knew I could again. I had self-induced pressure through being called out on my words. Perhaps this pressure forced me to concentrate more on that shot. I was able to block out the aggravation of the blowhard and concentrate on the game. Maybe I was just lucky.

Years later as a soccer coach I find I do not panic when things are not going our way. I do not yell or scream at players. I refocus on the simple things in the game and remind the players to do the same. I use a calm voice and as few words as possible. The message to players is simple. - You know what to do. Just relax, concentrate and do it. Far more often than not my teams have responded very favorably to this approach. Many have commented how my calmness in crisis gave them confidence and belief in themselves. If I was not panicked, why should they be? If I believed in them, why shouldn't they believe in themselves?

What I took from a disruptive blowhard and a VP chastising me at a golf outing 30 years go was the importance of blocking out distractions and controlling those things within my control. My attitude. My effort.  My work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment