Saturday

Club or School?

If your expectation was to read my thoughts on the battle between high school and club soccer you might be disappointed. I am going to take this to the grass roots level. Where I live, each school district has a youth soccer program for children K - 8th grade.  The club scene is rather muddled - they come and go with the exception of Grand Lake United which has been around seemingly forever.

One of the newer clubs on the local scene is making a big push for youth players to abandon their school oriented soccer programs and play only for their club. I believe this is a huge and monumental mistake. They are asking children to specialize in a single sport at an age when they should be exploring all sports ... and other avenues of interest as well. They need to be kids, not little future college athletes in training.  Trust me, for the overwhelming majority of these kids will never receive a scholarship to play in college.  See here:  College Soccer Scholarships: The Facts

(Hit the jump for the rest of the article)




I was contacted by promoters of this club a couple of years back and asked to write a blurb about the benefits of club soccer.  I did so, but now regret having done so.  I either misunderstood the intent or was misled as to how my words would be used. 

I wish to state for the record that I believe children should play for their school soccer associations each fall.  Period. 

Club soccer should be reserved for those with a passion and aptitude for the game. And all of those except a very few elite should reserve club soccer for the spring season only.

I recently had discussions with a number of parents and their children about the commitment being asked of them by a local club team. I did not offer my opinion, per se.  Instead I shared my philosophy on handling conflicts with club soccer. 

1) God is first.  If you miss because of church related event, I have no problem whatsoever. I only ask that you inform me as far in advance as possible.

2) Family are second.  If you must miss because of a family event, I have absolutely no problem with this. Just notify me as far in advance as possible.

3) School comes next.  I have no problem with an athlete playing a school sport during club soccer season. The school sport comes first.  Awards banquets, band & choir performances, class trips - Just advise me as soon in advance as you can, please.

*** Many of our local schools barely have enough total boys of high school age to scrape together a school team in any given sport. Some of those local schools only offer a single spring sport because they do not have the available numbers to field more than one sport.  Even the larger schools in our area are dependent on an all hands on deck philosophy to round out their teams.

When club soccer comes in conflict with God, Family and School... well, something just is not right. People need to reevaluate their priorities. 

Soccer is something we do. It does not define who we are.

What defines who we are is God, Family, Friends - schoolmates, for example.

The bottom line is club soccer in our area must work in partnership with the local school soccer associations. "Stealing" young players away for their local soccer association only serves to weaken the sport in our area.

Think of it in this manner, the local school based soccer associations are the feeder program for their high school teams.  Let me state this once again,

The local school based soccer associations are the FEEDER PROGRAMS for the high school teams.

These local associations are where the depth in numbers come from that allow a high school team to be fielded.

One of the very best high school teams in our area made to the regional finals of OHSAA play last fall with exactly ONE club soccer player on their roster.

*** Now, ask any high school coach and he or she will almost assuredly tell you they wish for as many of their players as possible to play club soccer.  I agree.  This is not an anti-club soccer article.

It's more a buyer beware article.

I recall a talented young soccer player who came to me and asked what I thought about him playing football instead of soccer. I said, "Go for it."

You see, these are children we deal with. They are not a pawn or financial asset to be used to our own end. They only get one childhood.  If a kid wants to play football, he should go play organized football.  Once he is out of school the opportunity to play organized football is pretty much lost forever.

It's no different for the kid who wants to play baseball or run track or sing in the choir.  They are children and should take full advantage of ALL the opportunities childhood brings them.

Look at it another way, why specialize in something (soccer) at a young age that you will eventually out grow and never play again? Are you realistically the next Tim Howard?

Oh, and by the way, did you know Tim Howard was a three sport star growing up?

So, my advice to you is not to make a decision between club or school.

No, make a decision of club and school.

It's not only the decision in the best overall interests of your child, it's also the smart decision.






No comments:

Post a Comment