Monday

I will be training a U12 team this fall.

I was recently asked to train a U12 Boys team this fall.  The team, as described to me, is a Division 3 team so I am not expecting the next Neymar or Messi to show up.  I'm a bit leery about dropping down in age from older teens to 11 year olds if only because I have not worked with such young players in 4 or 5 years.  I am sure it will be  culture shock for these young players since my coaching style is likely far different than what they have been exposed to thus far.

I will challenge this team with training exercises and games some would say are better suited to a good U14 or U15 team. They will initially struggle some, but they will also eventually "get it" and do so at a much earlier age than many of their peers playing on higher division teams.

Why take this approach?

First of all, as a coach of high school and older aged club teams I am tired of receiving players who are ball oriented instead of game oriented in their approach to the game. The common pattern of play with youth players in this country is to stand around waiting to be passed to, receive the ball and then trying to figure out what to do with it. I have found it can take a season or two to reprogram players to prepare to play the ball.  I have a group of 11 year olds that will learn to prepare to play the ball and therefore play at a much faster pace than many of the teams they will encounter.

Secondly, and of just as much importance, is the fact there is simply no reason not to teach them to play the game properly.  I have been told before that young players are incapable of understanding the intricacies and complexities of the grown up game, but I am reminded of Johan Cruyff's quote about playing the game simply being the hardest thing to do.  I understand what he meant, but I also question why it must be so difficult. If young players are taught from the beginning how to play simply, why should be such a struggle to do so when they are older?

Playing simply is all about being prepared to play.  Before the ball is received the player needs to have a plan for his next play. If a player wants the ball, he must move to be in the passers vision early.  I am going to ask these young players to think about the game differently than other coaches have asked them to.

Will it work?

Well, I used this approach with my son's teams coming through the youth ranks. Their high school teams went on to play in state regional championships.. Several were named POY for their league and District POY.  A half dozen went on to be 1st team all-state players.  I think it will work and especially so since I have improved not only what I coach, but how I coach. 

It's not a magic formula. I 'm not predicting immediate success and an undefeated season for these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment